What's Open in Fall
Fall provides amazing backdrops to many seeking that perfect photo-op for their next Christmas card. The various golden hues frame the landscape enhancing its beauty offering a fresh perspective that was once taken for granted. It reconnects you to yourself and your loved ones. Fall has a way of keeping your present.
In Waterton, fall offers an experience of solitude as the former busy streets filling with vehicles and visitors are now filled with wildlife, the real locals of the park. There are many unique vantage points to soak up fall in Waterton, please read below to learn about our top recommended activities and businesses that are currently open.
Top Five Scenic views
- Bears Hump- short but steep one hour hike that provides a beautiful view of the townsite. This view is the most famous view and a definite favourite trail of locals and visitors alike.
- Blakiston Falls (Red Rock Canyon)- An impressive waterfall a short walk from Red Rock canyon- it’s worth it, trust us!
- Cameron Lake- A short drive from the townsite with breathtaking views! Emerald coloured water reaches far into the distance toward the backdrop of Mount Custer. Soak it in.
- Prince of Wales Hill- Either drive up to view our iconic Waterton valley behind the POW or take a stroll up the Prince of Wales Hill. * Please note, the POW is not open in fall/winter. *
- Akamina Parkway- Hike or bike the roadway as it meanders up the Akamina valley, looking down to the creek below and up to the majestic peaks that surround you.
Unique "must do" experience!
Dark Sky Guides- A guided interpretive nighttime tours and stargazing opportunity paired with storytellers that are sure to deliver a personal, memorable & unique experience. This experience is a 2019 recipient of Travel Alberta’s Alto Award in the “new experience” category.
**If snow is expected, you may want to consider other winter activities within the park.
Businesses open in Fall:
Akamina Gifts (Weekends only): Akamina gift shop specializes in a variety of items - from fashion clothing to souvenir t- shirts and sweatshirts for kids to adults and a large selection of unique jewelry.
Please note: There are no available gas stations or grocery stores in Waterton in the fall and winter season. Please ensure your re-fuel and bring groceries! There are two restaurants open and ready to serve.