Winter in Waterton
Winter in Waterton is ideal for the real "rejuvinators" interested in unplugging and re-connecting with oneself and loved ones. Most of the businesses are boarded up but don’t let that deter you— through these cooler months, you really get to feel like you own the town and can always find more.
- More Space, Less Crowds- Enough said!
- More wildlife, less cars- Although amazing to watch, please remember to practice wildlife safety
- More colors- Those beautiful fall colors start to pop!
- More savings- Off season rates are available in the winter!
Waterton creates an experience of solitude as the former busy streets once filled with vehicles and visitors are now occupied by wildlife, the real locals of the park. There are many unique vantage points to soak up fall in Waterton, please read below to learn about our top recommended activities and businesses that are currently open.**
Please note: There are no available gas stations or grocery stores in Waterton in the fall and winter season. Please ensure your re-fuel and bring groceries! There are two restaurants open and ready to serve.
Businesses open in Winter:
Waterton Planetarium : Step into the Dark Sky Guides' indoor inflatable Dome Planetarium and discover the cosmos! Experience informative, enthralling presentations on stargazing, space exploration, natural history and light pollution.
Starry Skies Townsite Stroll Tours : Join the Dark Sky Guides for a short, easy stroll around the Waterton townsite after dark, as you learn to identify some of the more noteworthy constellations and night sky objects visible with the naked eye.
Discover Snowshoeing Tour: Learn to Snowshoe! For anyone who wishes to try snowshoeing for the first time, or simply wants to have some winter fun with a certified Professional 4-Season Tour Guide and learn about Waterton Lakes National Park!
Snowshoe Winter Adventure Tour : The Dark Sky Guides will take you out for an exciting snowshoeing adventure during the coldest, darkest months of the year to experience Waterton's Dark Skies beyond the Waterton Townsite!
Guided Winter Adventures with Tamarack Outdoors Feel like a local with guided adventures and local history wrapped into a wonderful winter experience.
Cameron Lake Ski, snowshoe, or hike up from the winter gate and experience Cameron Lake in a whole new light.
Top Winter Scenic views
- Bears Hump- short but steep one hour hike that provides a beautiful view of the townsite. This view is the most famous view and a definite favourite trail of locals and visitors alike.
- Crandell Lake- An easy hike the whole family can enjoy, and the views of this stunning stunning emerald green lake never disappoints!
- Prince of Wales Hill- Either drive up to view our iconic Waterton valley behind the POW or take a stroll up the Prince of Wales Hill. * Please note, the POW is not open in fall/winter. *
- Lower Rowe Lake- The perfect place to sit and take in the sounds of nature.