Your browser is out of date.
This site may not function properly in your current browser. Update Now

Border Crossing Information

A basic guide to crossing the border.

Visitors traveling from the United States into Canada or vice versa can use any of the following six ports of entry:

NOTE: Not all border crossing are open all year and not all are open 24 hours.

  • Carway, Alberta/Peigan, Montana; Open all year; daily, 7:00am to 11:00pm

  • Del Bonita, Alberta/Del Bonita, Montana; June 1 to Sept 15, 8:00am to 9:00pm | Sept 16 - May 31, 9:00am to 6:00pm

  • Coutts, Alberta/Sweetgrass, Montana; Open all year, daily 24 hour service

  • Chief Mountain, Alberta/Chief Mountain, Montana; OPEN June 1 to Oct 31, 7:00am to 10:00pm

Border Crossing Requirements

Visitors from all countries will need a valid passport to enter Canada or the United States. They may also require other documentation such as a visas or alien card. Check with a Canadian embassy.

Persons under 18 years traveling without their parents should have a letter of authorization from a parent or guardian to travel into Canada or the United States.

Each visitor may import, duty free, a maximum of 40 ounces (1.1 litres) of liquor, or 24 12-oz cans of beer or ale into Canada as personal luggage. Up to 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes, and 400 grams of tobacco and 400 tobacco sticks may be allowed entry duty free. To import tobacco products, a person must be 18 years of age or over.

Visitors may bring sporting equipment and personal goods for their own use, duty free, by declaring them at entry. Once in every 31 day period, after being in Canada for at least 48 hours US visitors may take back merchandise for personal or household use up to the value of $400 duty free. US visitors spending less than 48 hours, may take back $200 worth of merchandise free of US duty and tax. Other visitors should check the customs regulation of their own country prior to departure.

Please check in advance for requirements for crossing the border with firearms or bear spray.