Waterton is winter is ideal for the real "rejuvinators" interested in unplugging and re-connecting with oneself and loved ones. Most of the businesses are boarded up but don’t let that deter you—in winter, you really get to feel like you own the town!
Waterton creates an experience of solitude as the former busy streets once filled with vehicles and visitors are now occupied by wildlife, the real locals of the park. There are many unique vantage points to soak up fall in Waterton, please read below to learn about our top recommended activities and businesses that are currently open.
Please note: There are no available gas stations or grocery stores in Waterton in the fall and winter season. Please ensure your re-fuel and bring groceries! There are two restaurants open and ready to serve.
Hotel and Packages:
Guided Winter Experiences:
- Discover Snowshoeing: This tour takes place late-morning offering moderately easy guided storytelling experience that is great for first-timers!
- Snowshoe Winter Adventure Tour: This moderately difficult after-dark experience offers an exciting snowshoeing adventure during the coldest, darkest months of the year to experience Waterton's Dark Skies beyond the Waterton Townsite.
- Guided Cross Country Skiing: Experience a Waterton winter as you glide across the snow on cross-country skis. Spark your imagination while a local CANSI certified guide teaches and enterts you and your family, sharing tales of past, present and “What If ?” All skills welcome on this two hour experience.
- Winter Heritage Walk ‘n’ Talks: Join our Local Interpretive Guides for a trip back in time and history. Walks around the Waterton Townsite, Prince of Wales Hill and Linnet Lake while learning about the History of Waterton in winter and why this place is so unique. This activity is led by a true Waterton Local who has lived here year round for over 45 years!
Additional Winter Experiences:
- To learn more about otherwinter activities, click here.
- To learn more about winter trails, click here.
Where to Eat:
Waterton's newest restaurant is a must when visiting the Park. Located in the Waterton Glacier Suites hotel, the Red Rock Cafe has an amazing menu created by Chef Long. The decor was done by Design to Dwell and is beautiful! Sit by the fire and gaze out on the magnificent views on Waterton Park, you will never want to leave! Serving Breakfast lunch & dinner daily!
Vimy’s Lounge & Grill offers a mix of fine & casual dining. From our lounge escape the winter chill and warm up by our fireplace as you enjoy casual fare along with a pint accompanied by the game on our big screen TVs above the bar. Upstairs take in Waterton’s mountain scenery while choosing from a range of entrees & appetizer options along with a bottle of your favourite wine! Breakfast offered daily.