How To Spend A Winter's Day In Waterton
Things to do in Waterton in the Winter
Waterton in the winter, becomes quiet and isolated, tailoring its experience to the real rejuvenators looking to escape the busyness of life. With that in mind, we have created a sample itinerary to aid you in making your journey to Waterton a memorable one.
Sunrise: Watch the sunrise from Lower Waterton Lake pull-out on the Entrance Parkway
Any one of these activities are sure to create memories to last a lifetime:
• Snow-shoeing/Cross country skiing: Bring your own or rent them at Waterton Lakes Lodge. First timers, try the road to Cameron Lake; if you’re looking for more of a challenge try the Crandell Lake trail!
•Build a snowman/Tobogganing: Enjoy these timeless activities with mountains as your backdrop.
• Walks in Waterton:
o Bears Hump (currently closed): Weather permitting, this is an iconic viewpoint of Waterton and worth the 40-50-minute hike! Be sure to bring hiking poles, as the trail can become icy in warmer weather.
o Waterton Village: There’s something intimate about walking down the middle of the street in silence through the Waterton winterscape.
o Cameron Falls: Many locals and visitors would agree that Cameron Fallsis the most magical in the winter but it’s something you need to see for yourself as no Waterton trip should be without this view!
• Wildlife viewing: The Blakiston Fan, which is south of the Entrance Parkway, between Lower and Middle Waterton Lakes, often plays host to hundreds of elk, and if you stop near the gate area, there is a chance you might even get to see them crossing the Waterton River.
• Skating: If you’re ambitious enough to clear the ice, Linnet Lake is a great place to go skating or even have an impromptu game of hockey
Note: Always contact warden’s office before venturing onto the ice
* Swimming: Grab the swimsuit and spend the afternoon swimming or soaking in the hot tub!
- * Star gazing: tilt your gaze to the night sky and be amazed in this Dark Sky Designation!
- * Jacuzzi: Warm up in the hot tub or in a jacuzzi in the comfort of your room (make sure you request a suite when booking!)